Does this sound familiar?:
“Mom! I’m bored!”
“But I don’t have any toys!”
“I already played that!”
My kids are constantly looking for new games to play and ways to beat boredom. Summer is rough for us because V is so used to the full days of school that she is always bored.
I have been trying to prepare myself for this predicament before it became a daily struggle, and thus far, I have done pretty well. One reason for my success is my secret weapon — a book called What Color is The Wind?
The book is essentially a field guide designed to get you outside enjoying nature. It gives you a variety of activities to do… all season specific! There is room on the pages to make notes, add drawing, pencil in extra ideas, or just record how one went. It has really inspired us to get out and get exploring our little piece of Earth, and I am amazed by how much the kids actually notice when they take the time to look.
We have a list of activities that we want to accomplish this summer (before we get to start the Autumn section!) and the number one on V’s list is making a fairy house out of twigs!! She cannot wait and has already started gather supplies so we have a large selection to build from.
You can purchase a copy of What Color is The Wind? from edsbook.org and I highly suggest you order it ASAP! It is year round fun and activities that your entire family will enjoy!!
Looking for some other fun summer activities? Here are a few ideas from some of my favorite blogs!
- Summer Camp At Home from Wyoming Girl *turned* Coastie Wife
- Attic Girl has a great suggestion:: Check out the Library!
- Here are two great recipes for Ice Cream in a Bag: Vanilla Bag Ice Cream and Growing Up Gabel’s Ice Cream in A Bag Recipe
- Mommy Testers got tons of great summer ideas from ABC Photobooks
- Amanda at Thoughts From Her recommends visiting your local local museums. (a favorite activity of my daughters!) Bonus Tip: Call ahead or check the website – they sometimes have free days!
- Making Time for Mommy came up with an awesome summer bucket list! She has 100+ great ideas to check out!
- Four Sea Stars has a fun water activity that looks like it would be perfect for older kids.
- Lena at My Anything Blog suggests a scavenger hunt!
- Mama Loves Her Bargains has great activities for summer road trips!
- Check out these Frozen Banana Bites — yumminess for the whole family (even the dog!)
- Views From the ‘Ville suggests having a Hawaiian Luau Staycation!!
- If your kids love to be in the kitchen, Roasted Sweet Potato Shapes sound like fun to make and eat! (Don’t want to heat up the house by turning on the oven? I bet these babies would be good cooked on the grill in a tinfoil packet!)
- This Flourishing Life has a great Boredom Buster list!
- Travel Splash has some great ideas for keeping kids entertained while on the go.
- Fun Summer Activities that wont break the bank from Our Kids Mom.
- Have lots of paper plates left over from 4th of July? Tailor Made Momma has some great ideas. You can make a Paper Plate Aquarium or Paper Plate Animal Masks!
- It can be so hard to find fun projects to do with toddlers. The Springmount 6 Pack has two great ideas for you to try out :: Making a Kite and Making Binoculars
- Sippy Cup Mom has a great tutorial for DIY Sidewalk Calk!
Do you have any super fun summer activities/crafts/ideas? I’d love to hear them!!