I shared this recipe on the Peacock Pottery blog much earlier this year, but as the weather is getting cooler again here, I am craving Mac and Cheese. I am totally bummed by the fact that I can’t eat dairy right now, so I figured I would share this delicious dinner with you instead … and then hopefully live vicariously through you
I love, love, LOVE Macaroni and Cheese! It is my absolute favorite comfort food, and I would eat it every day if I could.
I have a few different recipes that I make regularly, and this is a brand new one that was a huge hit with my entire family – kids included! I think of this as a more “grown up Mac & Cheese”, and I love that the recipe can easily be doubled to make as a main dish or for more people.
This recipes feeds a family of 4 as a side dish, with some left over.
- 1 3/4 Cup Uncooked Medium Shell Pasta
- 2 T Unsalted Butter
- 2 T All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 Cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 3 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 4 oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Fresh cracked pepper (10-12 cracks, or 1/8 tsp pre-cracked)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 dash (1/8 tsp) mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp melted butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook medium shell pasta in lightly salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 2T butter in sauce pan. Add Garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add flour. Cook on med-low for 1 minute – keep a close eye on your flour, don’t let it brown! Add milk, whisking continuously to remove any lumps. Add pepper and mustard powder.
- Bring to a boil, stirring very frequently so bottom doesn’t burn. Allow to boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
- Add cheese a little at time, siring to combine. Don’t worry if all the cheese doesn’t melt together – it will in the oven! Add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add cooked noodles and cheese sauce to an un-greased 7 3/4 x 7 3/4 deep dish pan (like this one). Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 tsp melted butter and breadcrumbs (it should look a bit like wet sand). Sprinkle mixture on top of your macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!