Maintaining Your Home to Protect the Health of Your Family

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×

Owning a home is a big deal to most Americans.

It provides you with a place where you can enjoy your privacy and entertain friends. But, owning a home also means that you must maintain it. If you or a member of your family is experiencing allergic or cold like symptoms frequently, your home may actually be the cause. The good news is that there are ways to protect your family by performing regular maintenance on your home to improve the air quality.

Air conditioning and heating system

Your air conditioning and furnace keep the home comfortable for you and your family. But if not maintained regularly they can lead to chronic health problems. Fortunately, you can improve the air quality in your home rather quickly. First change your filter on the furnace regularly. The function of the filter is to remove dust, dirt, debris, allergens and other contaminants from the air. When your filter is used too long it no longer able to serve the intended purpose. Secondly, clean out the air ducts once a year. This will help to prevent the presence of mold, bacteria, and viruses. If left unserviced, the risk of these things growing and spreading throughout your home every time your HVAC system turns on greatly increases. If a new air conditioning installation project is needed, have the system annually serviced by a licensed professional going forward. This helps to make sure it’s operating smoothly. If you avoid doing this and a problem occurs, even a small one, you could put your family at risk.

Repairs leaks

The presence of moisture is a clear indication that there is a leak somewhere in your home. Do a thorough search of the plumbing, hot water heater, as well as your roof and windows. If your roof is older it’s a good idea to get a contractor out to look at it to make sure that none of the shingles are missing. It’s also important to remove any potential hazards away from your roof and siding like tree limbs, branches, and scrubs. Ignoring a leak can lead to serious health issues for you and your family. Mold and mildew can cause different symptoms from annoying to serious depending on your age and your body’s reaction to it. It can cause clogged nasal passages, irritation to the throat, coughing, wheezing, watery eyes, and even rashes on children with sensitive skin. Other who develops a serious reaction can end up with a compromised immune system and can end up with a serious infection in their lungs.

Protecting your family from rodents

Finding droppings in a cabinet is more than just a nuisance, it can have serious health consequences for you or a member of your family. The most common problem caused by rat and mouse droppings, urine or dander is an allergic reaction. This most times is very similar to that of a cold wherein the person who has the reaction to the pest coughs, sneezes, develops a sore throat or a skin rash. An allergic reaction is the least that can happen. There are much more serious and potentially life threatening illnesses that can also occur. You or a family member could acquire a disease like Hantavirus or a bacterial infection like Leptospirosis, which can transmit from a rodent to a human. Thankfully, there are ways to remove the potential risk by having a reputable pest control company come out a few times a year. For your part, you can seal any cracks or holes, no matter how small they look to you, to avoid any unwanted trespassers from entering.

Materials and furnishings in your home

It’s not something you would think of, but your furniture can actually play a role in your chronic health issues. If you own furniture that’s made of certain pressed wood products such as Medium Density Fiberwood, you could have toxins slowly filling the air of your home. In order to create MDF they bond wood solids, wax, and resin together under high heat and pressure, to create a strong solid wood-like substance. The problem is that during the manufacturing process, formaldehyde gets used and if the seal is not airtight toxins can escape into your home. Lead is another potentially harmful substance that can be on the wall or window sill of a child’s bedroom. Luckily, this is a problem that’s very easy to fix. If you’ve purchased an older home make sure that you remove the old paint and replace it with a fresh coat.


Speak Your Mind

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 0 Flares ×